Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Shining & Sparkling

I've been cleaning the house all morning. Took the dog to the off-leash with a friend, and when I came back, I thought, well, it's got to be done. I also cleared all the furniture but the bed out of one of the spare bedrooms, which means I can begin to prep it for painting now. The room is a ghastly pink and we've been in this house now near four years, and I'm finally getting 'round to painting it. Pathetic, isn't it?

I have a bit of a weird dilemma I've been trying to figure out. I subscribe to no one religion, but am deeply fascinated by any religion I look into and take time to study. I definitely believe in God, but I don't know what God is. Aquinas said God is unknowable, but he firmly rejected western religion's anthropomorphic perception of him. Me, I'm just not sure ... I would say I have some theories, but they tend to change with each new philosophy or theology book I read. Anyway, the dilemma. I probably subscribe most closely to Buddhism, but I'm such a long way off from "doing all the right things". Anyway, one of the tenets of Buddhism is learning to be content with what you have; not always wanting things to be different. This could take the form of acceptance that a hot day is a hot day and not wishing it were cooler (the wisdom being that when it's cooler, we'll be wishing it was warmer, and the cycle of longing never ends). On the other hand, there's so much work to be done in the world, and, indeed, on ourselves, does it not follow that we'd want to better things, change things? As long as so much suffering goes on, isn't it our duty to try to alleviate it, if we can? Surely we're not meant to simply accept that these things go on (i.e., homelesness, poverty, war, etc., take your pick). What bothers me is that it smacks of passivity. I know that's not what it's alll about, and I do understand it, but the dichotomy remains, all the same.

There, I've had my say. Now that my floors are dry I have to put the vaccuum and mop away and have lunch.

2 Comments:

Blogger Chandira said...

Wanna come round to my house next and paint my back bedroom?? lol

Personally speaking, when you reach a place of transcending that worry about the world, (which I get to do only temporarily, then get sucked back in again), it's not that you lose compassion, you just lose the fear. The fear keeps you bound to it.
Usually that fear is bound up in our own personal concern for ourselves, projected on the world. (Not always!) Close inspection reveals that there are early life memories, traumas, that type of thing, which cause the fear that causes the concen. Free-feeling love for the world is entirely different, and very necessary, but the result is 'no fear'.. That frees you up from the weight, to act on it.
Buddha was NOT lacking in love and compassion!! Buddha found the heart. But to do that for real, you've got to truly be free from fear and that feeling of separation.

Ever hear of Sebastio Selgado? Amazing photographer who takes pictures of people in war-torn famine-starved disiease-ridden places, and the photos he takes are extraordinary. They show happy, dignified people, going about thier day. I guess my point is, we never truly know what another is thinking, until we're no longer assuming a 'them and us', and projecting our own (quite natural!) fears. But those fears are there to be transcended. For me, that's the essence of the Buddhist message, free yourself, then you're freer to feel and act on the compassion.

Good post!

4:09 p.m.  
Blogger Pirate said...

Yes, I can hear the wisom in your words. I knew the Buddha didn't lack compassion, but for me it always feels that way (personally) when I try to internalize that message. I'll have to look at those pics you mentioned. I've missed you and I'm glad to be blogging again. Thanks for the kind words.

PS: I've lost 31 pounds (yoga, walking, eating sensibly)

7:32 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home