Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Apropros of Nothing ...

Our city is planting oak trees here and there on boulevards. This may not seem weird to many, but we live in an area with poor soil that supports cottonwoods well, but not hardwoods. It is semi-arid, freakin' cold in winter and summers are short. I found an oak branch while I was out walking one day, came home and shoved it in a vase, and kept in my kitchen for awhile. It was really pretty. And I wondered, where on earth did that come from? Who plants oak trees in Calgary. Then, today, I'm walking a stretch I don't normally walk and there's a little oak tree. I snipped off a cluster of leaves and brought them home. They're so pretty. Now I'm thinking (because I need to plant trees in my back yard) that I should select an oak or two and to heck with the fact that they only grow a foot a year.

That and I have a cold. Sheesh. But I had a massage this morning so I'm pleasantly relaxed and as I have no scheduled students until this evening and everything else can kind of wait, KIND OF, I think a nap is in order.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home