Sunday, October 14, 2007

It's October the what???

Whew. Where does the time go? I have successfully cut down the number of hours I work this semester and that allows me more time to get into the editing I do for the doctor I work for (he's also a theologian, philosopher, family therapist, etc., in short, he has a lot of letters behind his name). We have just finished a book on what might be summed up as the philosophy of medicine and medical education, and the need to treat the whole person, and how western medicine does not do this, but must. How we can take a page from the eastern ways of practicing medicines and how we must integrate people's beliefs in both eastern and western religions (spirituality). It's high stuff but I've learned so much doing the editing. The book is with an agent, but we don't know yet whether he's chosen to handle it. (Fingers crossed.)

The second book is a series of transcripts of interviews with spiriual healers. This is heady stuff! I can't read it without having my sense of myself and my place in the world shaken up just a tiny bit. So I am just finishing up the first book: doing a glossary and polishing an appendix with a bunch of facts and figures which compare the health of various nations and the health care of various nations. Then I get into the second book which involves a first edt of the transcripts themselves. I have already done a couple of these and it is powerful, powerful stuff. Knocks your socks off. Really does.

For fun, we've been watching a bit too much sports on TV, I think. German Bundesliga soccer is back on TV in Canada (I don't know about the US) and I've been rooting for my favouite team, Bayern Munich. However, soccer is a sport (I think) where you don't really have to be rooting for a team to watch it and enjoy it, and so I watch a lot of other matches too. It's great stuff. I can't stand to watch hockey if there isn't a team I'm rooting for (go Canucks!). Baseball, well, I guess that might merit the occasional exception. But I love the Yankees, and unfortunately we have to wait for spring training. I hope they don't fire Joe Torre, but obviously something has to be done about the Yankees' starting pitching. With a budget like they have, it's remarkable that they don't have better pitching. I love soccer (and baseball) because neither of them has the mindless violence that the NHL has.

Recently watched Bleak House, which is a Dickens book, on DVD. The version that has Gillian Anderson in it (of X-Files fame). I have NEVER, EVER, EVER, seen a better show. This beats I think every show I've ever seen in my whole entire life (yes, it was THAT good). The casting, the acting, the direction, in short, everything about it, was absolutely top-notch. I couldn't find fault with it if I tried. A friend said that the version with Emma Peel was too dark and slow and she couldn't get through it. I lent her my copy of the one with Gillian Anderson. I'd be very surprised if she has the same to say about it.

And then I read the book. And except for a few minor details, the program followed the book really well. I loved the actors in the DVD, too, so just put those faces on while I read the book and it was like extending the DVD by another couple of weeks.

Next post I'll talk about Bikini Boot Camp which I did this summer (suffice it to say, for now, never again!) and I look forwad to catching up with all of you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home