Monday, July 31, 2006

Angels among us

My husband and I went to a choral concert yesterday afternoon at a lovely Lutheran church in town here. I had never been to the church before, but I think I may have found one I can attend the occasional Sunday morning service, especially as they have services in German. That would be absolutely a wonderful thing to do. Most of the concert was in German, a lot was in Italian and a bit in English. It was purely the choir, no accompaniment of any kind. 30 voices. They are called the Oldenburg Chamber Choir and they hail from Oldenburg, Germany. They win national contests all the time and are considered one of the best in Europe. I bought both CDs they had on hand there (only $10 each). The singing was spectacular. They sing as one, and every one of them looked happy to be there; one in particular had a lovely smile on her face for much of the performance. An impromptu German folk song sung at the end, followed by a rendition of "May the road rise up to meet your feet" put me in tears. I was trying to sniffle very quietly. It was absolutely gorgeous.

The concert put the cap on a perfect weekend. I had my yoga teacher and her guy over for barbecue dinner on Saturday night. Dinner and a movie. We do this with another couple. We take turns picking movies (we all seem to have the same taste in movies) and do dinner & a movie at each other's homes, alternating. So my yoga teacher is such a sweetie, that I decided to have her and her guy over and it went very well. They are quite a bit younger than us, so you never know, but they are both years ahead of their age in maturity. It was an absolutely lovely evening, but we were up much later than usual (we are so NOT staying up late people) and are paying the price this morning, particularly with the choral concert from yesterday as well. But I have to say it was the absolute best weekend I've had in a very long time.

1 Comments:

Blogger J. D. T. Saul said...

Hey Pirate,

(I picked an old on so as not to confuse your fans)

I was curious if you had a direction in mind for the Noir. I was going to post some more, but didn't want cut in front if you had a response in mind :-)

3:42 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home