Wednesday, September 13, 2006

This is great


I don't read all the comics. I'm trying to be a bit more selective. And "Between Friends" isn't one of my super favourites (my absolute, hands-down, all-time favourite is Pearls Before Swine; I especially love Pig). Anyway, I do read this one daily, and sometimes I see myself in these cartoons.

When I was a little girl, we were friends with another family who had two daughters the same age as my sister and I. The one my age, Sylvia, and I, used to fight like cats and dogs, but we were thrown together (Capricorns & Saggitarians, I don't think, are the best mix), so what could we do but play?

This comic reminded me of something I used to do to Sylvia when we were little. One of the things we used to play at was creating pretend orders from the Sears catalogue. We'd turn the pages and write down all the product numbers, sizes, prices, etc., then total it all up. On occasion I'd run across a page that contained something my mother had bought at some time or that very much looked like something she owned. I'd pick that item, and then I'd accuse Sylvia of poor taste or of offending my mother, for not picking it. Of course, the poor girl had no idea that my mother owned this item. I don't think she ever did it to me, but eventually she complained to her mother about it, and I must have stopped at some point. Wow, that was mature, eh? The things we do when we're kids.

This is the same friend with whom I raided her mother's silver quarter collection, went shopping for stuff for our dolls, ate at McDonald's and then tried to lie our way out of it by saying we had "secret" money or it was money we'd "found". Boy, we got it for that one.

1 Comments:

Blogger Chandira said...

I had a childhood friend like that, that I was forced into friendship with. Sucks, doesn't it? The things that get inflicted on kids.. She was my next door neighbour, and I didn't manage to get away from her until I was 17 and left home.

I have that reaction to anybody clingy, whiny, posessive of my attention, which she really was.. shudder.. It's definitely affected my ability to form intimate friendships. I do tend to keep people at a distance if I suspect any of those qualities. I don't know if we ever outgrow some of that stuff. I'm trying.

Oh, that cartoon is so me. I've offended so many people. I never mean to!! I'm at least lerning to curb that one a little. ;-)

10:00 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home