Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Game 1 -- Not so Good!

As I am an ardent Yankees fan, I can't in good conscience root for the Red Sox. Besides, they're rather disgusting with all that spitting that goes on all the time. Earlier tonight, they showed a statistic that said that Manny Ramirez has had 24 post-season home runs, vs. 18 of Mickey Mantle's. What a completely misleading statistic. This offends me as a mathematician (it's messing with the science of statistics) and as a Yankees fan. When Mickey Mantle was playing, there weren't division playoff games. That means that Ramirez has played in potentially three times as many games post season games as Mantle did, and against teams that arguably weren't as good as teams that make it all the way to the World Series. All of Mantle's post-season home runs were WORLD SERIES home runs: all 18, while Ramirez has a paltry 4 in the world series; the other 20 came in division playoff games. Anyway, go Rockies. I believe it is bad karma to root AGAINST teams, to hope teams lose, and I don't think I'm fooling anyone when I root for the Rockies, but I still say, GO ROCKIES. Still, here we are in the bottom of 5th, and it's 6-1. Crap.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mickey Mantle was the best long ball hitter, ever! (and he played his whole career injured.)

8:38 p.m.  
Blogger The Misanthrope said...

I agree with you 110% and with anonymous too.

10:04 p.m.  
Blogger Pirate said...

Anonymous is my husband. We are both nuts about the Yankees. Thanks, Misanthrope. Go Rockies.

9:19 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home