Wednesday, October 25, 2006

"When I Was" Song Series #1

Today's song is "I'm all out of love" by Air Supply. Cheesy, I know. I was 16 and I'd just met the love of my life, or so I thought at the time, and she was a girl! Okay, no, we never went there, nor were we tempted to go there, nor did we even think of going there, or think the nature of the affection we had for each other was out of the ordinary, but short of having a physical relationship, we were as close as two people could possibly be. It's amazing to me now that we could sit in class, gaze into each other's eyes, sing this song to each other OUT LOUD and not be exiled, ridiculed, beat up after school. Yet that's what we did, and no bad thing happened. I remember somebody in the class pointing us out to others: look at these two! You'd think they were a couple or something. Yeah, it was like that, yet it wasn't.

The first time we met was in accounting class. She was very tall, and sat right in front of me. We got in so much trouble together. We wanted to be together, just the two of us, so we started skipping a lot of classes, sitting at Tommy's (a diner we could only get to by bus) and slowly draining her savings account to buy clubhouse sandwiches. We were like siamese twins for years. You couldn't break us up. Then all the trouble we were getting into got the better of us and her mom moved her to a different school. But, wow, that kind of closeness. I wonder if I'll ever find that again in a friend. I doubt it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Chandira said...

I've been lucky enough to have had 2 friends like that, one I'm still in touch with. We're not that 'close' in that way any more, but we love each other a lot, and always will. I think girls have a unique capacity for falling in love with other girls, and we all do it. I think guys do too, if they're honest. I loved my girlfriends so much, and was heartbroken when they both moved away.

And yes, we bought a house! It happened really quickly, blink and you missed it.. lol

12:07 p.m.  
Blogger J. D. T. Saul said...

A lovely story. Refreshing that those around you could witness something beautiful like that without rushing to judgement. I wish they could spread that to more people. But don't give up. Love like that can pop up anywhere if you're open to it.

Btw. My lady and I love Airsupply. She's a few years too young but it reminds me of couples skates and parties where we'd turn the lights down low. She and I especially like putting it on while playing an agressive computer game like Diablo 2. The juxtaposition is really funny in a disturbing and cerebral way.

6:01 p.m.  
Blogger Pirate said...

Chandira, thanks for popping by. Sorry for being incommunicado for so long. Congrats on the house. You'll have to fill me in on details.

Anonymous ... too bad I don't know who you are. Thank you for your comment. I like cheesy songs. I like songs designed for meditation, piano solos, birds chirping in the background, etc. There's nothing wrong with wanting things to be gentle and kind.

9:07 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home