Thursday, January 18, 2007

Brrrr

It's cold in Calgary this morning. -18°C or something in that neighbourhood. I found out something new musically last week. In a piece of sheet music, if an accidental E-flat (for example) appears in a bar, that E is flat only in that pitch, in other words, unless the E an octave lower appearing in the same measure is also marked with a flat, that E is natural, so long as it is natural in the key signature. It made me feel good to find this out, because, playing it, it sounded off as a flat, not totally wrong, but not right either. I have a very dear (new) friend who happens to be a piano teacher, though is taking a year off from teaching right now, and so I asked her when I was having trouble with this. I'm taking a couple of months off regular lessons because my regular piano instructor's schedule and mine just don't mesh into something workable. My work hours will be changing at the end of this month, so then I'll start up again. I do remarkably well even when I don't go for regular lessons, though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home